9/23/2012

LIFE: The Path not Taken



Hi folks! I'm back from Maine and it was lovely. I enjoyed every minute of it. I have so many photos to share with you and details to tell you about. I'll do a couple of Maine posts this coming week. So stay tuned.


In other news...

I spent this beautiful Sunday afternoon at a friend's wedding. My friend, Heather, married her sweet, sweet fiance, Derrick this afternoon. Congratulations to them both and best wishes to the future! I met Heather when I joined my women's small group over two years ago. You may remember Heather as my roomie from the India Mission Trip as well.

Remember when I mentioned trying to pick a novel to take on my Maine vacation? Well, I ended up taking neither of the books I mentioned. Instead, I started reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I am nowhere close to finished yet, so I can't give my complete opinion just yet, but I am loving it so far. The book is about living life fully through the spiritual discipline of chronicling God's gifts, and realizing that we are 'wildly loved by God.'

Sometimes weddings tend to bring me down (who else isn't tired of being the single girl?) but today was different somehow. I looked around the table, and I saw people who love me, value my friendship, and are walking along beside me in this season of my life. I also realized that I have known all these people for less than three years.

Three years ago I graduated from college. I was dead-set on moving to Colorado and working for an Architecture firm there. My college roommate was already headed to Denver to teach and I wanted to live outside the Southeastern states for at least a few years before 'settling down'.

Call it ironic sovereign when NONE of my plans worked out and I ended up taking the ONLY architecture job I could find...in Birmingham, AL.

Really? This can't be right.

People kept telling me I was lucky. Lucky to have a job in a sinking economy. Beyond blessed to actually be working in the field I studied for all these years.

And I was thankful- sort of.

I found myself in a city where I didn't know a soul. Living alone in an apartment I could barely afford. The only thing I had was my job, and soon that became uncertain too.

I remember being so lonely that I would sink to the bathroom floor in the middle of getting ready and cry off all my makeup.

The weekends went on forever. I couldn't wait to go to work on Mondays, just so I would have someone to talk too.

I would call my mom and get so choked up that I couldn't speak.

And the entire time this was happening, I had the strange sense that I was where I was suppose to be.

I questioned God (a LOT) during that first year. It was NOT where I wanted to be, far from it.

Fast forward three years to this afternoon:

 I have found a church family to call home. And a pastor that challenges me in my walk with the Lord.

I gritted my teeth and introduced myself to strangers. And they turned into friends. Good friends.

I found a small group of Godly women to walk along side.

I was blessed to travel to India, and I met more dear friends through the process.

I have a job that I truly enjoy, and amazing coworkers.

The Lord has drawn me to himself in a way that I could not have anticipated.

So this afternoon, surrounded by people I love, and celebrating the union on our dear friends, I felt my heart lift with thankfulness.  I am THANKFUL that I am not in charge of my plans. Because my plans are less than mediocre. My heart is still being molded and my attitude refined, but bit by bit the Lord is aligning my desires with his own. And his plans are more than I could have dreamed- even if I can't see them all just yet.

 I guess I shared all this just to say- if you find yourself in that very lonely place of uncertainty- take heart! You are not alone and it can only mean that great things are in store.

Megan

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11


 



No comments:

Post a Comment